Tuesday, 31 August 2010
Monday, 30 August 2010
My brother and nephew, looking equally sleepy. I guess it´s somehow connected ... :P (I almost dare say that Mato was the youngest viewer in the stadium, not even 2 months old.)
The mascots were frollicing about, dancing and hugging all the athletes. I want to be the mascot! (No, seriously, I think it could be a fun job.)
Many of the athletes aren´t very well known, but two big stars competed: Swede Carolina Klüft (long jump) and Finn Tero Pitkämäki (javelin). (I had to zoom like crazy to get Pitkämäki so the quality is what it is ...)
Friday, 27 August 2010
A few things I´ve learnt this past year:
- Patience - When someone is sick, waiting becomes a constant. You wait for tests, you wait for results, you wait for treatments, you wait for rides. It is nailbiting, stomach wrenching, never ending waiting. Until the end, which you also have waited for.
- The moment - Live in the moment! The mother of all clishés. But in the circle of waiting, and with limited time, it is a must. Every second, every minute, every hour of every day. You will go mad if you don´t. (We all have limited time!)
- Crying without destroying my mascara - It should be an olympic sport.
- Making the bed - With someone in it.
- The importance of humour - My family has always had a terrific (slightly weird) sense of humour. It is fun to laugh when things are easy. It is necessary to laugh when things are tough.
- Crocheting chemo hats - When you don´t have hair, it can get a bit chilly.
- Endurance - I am tougher than I thought, and I am braver than I thought. The human being is remarkable, it hits a wall, gets knocked out, breathes for a second and then starts climbing.
- To say I love you.
Thursday, 26 August 2010
For instance; Someone googles anarchy and stumbles upon my blog. Are they disappointed with my "breakfast for dinner" scenario or simply titillated? (Sorry, I just love that word.)
Or when a poor sod googles tit torture for some "entertainment" and gets the thrilling story about the Blue tits and Great tits outside my window (birds!)?
I am still fascinated that one visitor actually googled killer tulip. What was s/he really looking for?
Wednesday, 25 August 2010
To end on a high note a few of us went to a little restaurant and had tapas before Lotta had to fly home. Lotta, Hanna and I have studied journalism together so a popular topic during dinner was writing in different forms. It can be such a joy and pain at the same time! :)
Only bummer of the day; I forgot my umbrella somewhere. Again. I will never learn ...
Tuesday, 24 August 2010
I just came back from a 2 hour forest walk with Hanna. It was grey and rainy but nice at the same time. She also brought me this book:
Monday, 23 August 2010
Any suggestions on what else it could have been?
Saturday, 21 August 2010
Friday, 20 August 2010
I´m a bit nervous. I don´t know if it feels like home any more. And having been used to, and pretty good at living on my own, I now have to get used to being alone again.
But, I´m also excited and have great plans for the place. A bit of planning and work and it should be in good shape. And then I can start having friends over! (Be aware, I´m going to experiment my baking/cooking on you ...) :)
Thursday, 19 August 2010
What? Like I´m going to feel bad about reading these genres any other time of the year? Hell no! Stop judging people and let them read what they want.
Wednesday, 18 August 2010
"Hm, that doesn´t look right ... Is that spoon supposed to be in there?"
Tuesday, 17 August 2010
Hanna made pretty fire and we grilled sausages for dinner.
Tuesday, 10 August 2010
She fought bravely. She faced challenge after challenge and still kept her magnificent sense of humour. Now she gets to rest.
I might take a small break from the blog. To get my head straight. But fear not, I´ll be back. Who knows, maybe she can read it, wherever she is.
We love her dearly.
Monday, 9 August 2010
Thursday, 5 August 2010
We got inspired and built two kinds of fly traps. One with vinegar (which works fine) and one with fresh fruit. Basically we took a cup, filled it with a prune, covered the top with plastic and made some holes.
Now, the fruit option wasn´t all bad, it did do the job of catching the flies. BUT! It also worked as a paradisical breeding ground for the buggers. Before they had their last spasms of life, they produced small yellowish bugbabies. The family name could live on!
In theory. These babies were flushed down the toilet and never got to spread their undeveloped wings. Tragic.
Wednesday, 4 August 2010
Now the only blow to this "project" is the fact that my black and red phone screams bloody colour murder next to the phone case. They. Do. Not. Match. Reason to buy a new phone? ;)
Ps. Worry not, the bugs are coming.
Tuesday, 3 August 2010
The photo taking aunt had some problems with sun and wind. And a camera shy 3 year old. Yes, I blame the weather and the kids, that´s always a great solution.
"Okay, so I have four stolen cars in my front yard, but it isn´t my fault. The 3 year old did it!"